Honors classes need to be added to curriculum

BY YOU KANN DO IT (AKSHAYA KANNAN) —

Many high schools across Wisconsin and the United States provide their students with the opportunity to take honors courses. Honors courses are more intense and faster paced than typical college preparatory courses, but unlike AP courses, many colleges do not consider them equivalent to college-level work.

However, I believe that the addition of honors classes to Shorewood High School would be beneficial for a number of reasons. Not only would students be separated into classes in which they would be able to learn at their own pace, but they would also be more prepared for AP classes as well.

Although most people are under the impression that honors classes and AP classes are essentially the same, there are quite a few factors that distinguish them from one another. Firstly, honors classes move at a faster pace, whereas AP classes analyze the subject further by going into more depth. Secondly, AP classes give students the option of taking the AP exam to earn college credit.

In spite of the fact that honors classes do not “prepare” students for AP exams, they still serve as bridges to college classes, as they help prepare students for more challenging classes. I believe that many students have the capability to learn certain subjects at a much quicker rate than others, and such students would greatly benefit from the addition of honors classes.

Earlier, I passed out a survey regarding honors classes to determine the level of interest, and an overwhelming 78.5% of around 40 SHS students surveyed agreeded that honors classes would most definitely be advantageous to our school and that they would be interested in taking honors classes.

In conducting this survey, I also asked a number of teachers about their opinion of these classes and whether or not they would be interested in teaching them. Every teacher that I asked revealed that they would look favorably upon teaching honor classes in addition to regular and even AP classes.

However, there is always the dilemma of which classes should be honors classes. In regards to that, I performed another survey where I asked students where they would like to see honors classes. 83% of the people I surveyed believed that math and science based courses, and even English courses, would truly benefit from this program, while the other 17% believed that language and social studies class would benefit.

The only major problem with implementing these classes is the funding; however, through fundraisers and donations, these types of classes can be implemented gradually into the curriculum until funding is not necessary.

Not all classes need to undergo a major change at the same time, but putting this plan into effect little by little would yield a significant outcome.

Hello Ripples fan! We're so glad that you found this story interesting. Post a comment below to share your thoughts about this story. Don't forget to subscribe to our paper! Contact shorewoodripples@gmail.com for more information. Thanks!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s